My weekend was a slippery slope for eating healthy starting with Friday night. We watched our 5 year old grandson for most of the weekend and we ate like 5 year olds!
Pizza, cheeseburgers, strawberry shortcake pancakes, ice cream…
I thought chasing my grandson around would burn the calories but that was wishful thinking.
By the time, he went home on Sunday afternoon – we were SO ready for a nap – and a healthy meal!
I found this delightful recipe by Bakeaholicmama.com and thought it was the perfect, healthy, light meal for our Sunday night.
It’s easy to make – it fills you up but doesn’t load you down.
Plus – leftovers make for healthy lunches the next day!
What I was making a year ago – LEMON RICOTTA CHEESECAKE!
Ginger Chicken Lettuce Wraps
A Kitchen Muse: slightly adapted from Bakaholicmomma
Recipe type: Healthy Meals
- 2 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbs. sesame oil (the light kind)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ tsp. minced ginger
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup reduced sodium gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tbs. ketchup
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, sliced with a potato peeler very thin
- 2 small heads of Bibb lettuce, leaves separated and washed thoroughly
- sliced scallions
- 6 oz. rice noodles, prepared to package instructions
- Chop chicken thighs into small pieces
- In a large fry pan over medium high heat, heat oil.
- Add chicken and garlic to hot oil.
- Fry until chicken is partially cooked and remove from pan.
- Whisk together the ginger, red pepper flakes, apple juice, water, soy sauce, ketchup, cornstarch, vinegar and brown sugar.
- Pour mixture into frying pan and cook until thickened over medium heat.
- Add partially cooked chicken and red peppers and cook until chicken is cooked through and coated. (Peppers should be tender but still crisp.)
- In lettuce half, pile some rice noodles and top with chicken mixture.
- Garnish with scallions and sliced carrots.