Happy Fourth! I don’t know about where you are but here in Ohio it’s hotter than…er…
It’s hot. Too hot. Most cities around here have decided to cancel their fireworks because of the dry grass and shrubs around here.
So we’re preparing a COOL salad to take to a friend’s house tonight.
It’s fresh, zesty and has roasted corn!
It will go perfectly with what Janet’s preparing tonight – Honey Ginger Pork Tenderloins…a recipe I intend to share with you very soon!
The salad is full of cherry tomatoes, arugula (I can’t say that word, my daughter and I were giggling this afternoon as I was telling her about salad!) and fresh grilled, charred sweet corn.
The dressing is an olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tomato vinaigrette laced with fresh basil and rosemary.
Toss it together with toasted pine nuts, crispy prosciutto and flaked Parmesan cheese and you got yourself a great side to grilled pork, flank steak or fish!
What I was cooking a year ago today: SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE!
Arugula, Tomato and Corn Salad
A Kitchen Muse: adapted from Bon Appetit
Recipe type: Salad, Side Dish
- ½ cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved, seeded, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 ears corn, husked
- 8 cups arugula (about 4 ounces)
- ½ pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup crispy prosciutto
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Whisk ½ cup oil, vinegar, basil, diced tomatoes, garlic and rosemary in small bowl until well blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill.
- Brush corn with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil corn until crisp-tender and golden brown in spots, turning frequently, about 7 minutes.
- Cool. Cut corn kernels off cob.
- Place kernels in large bowl.
- Add arugula, quartered tomatoes and pecans to bowl with corn.
- Toss salad with enough dressing to coat evenly. You may not need all the dressing, don't overdress!
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish salad with shaved Parmesan cheese and serve.