The other day I was cleaning out my spice cupboard and I found a box of barley that was hiding in the back.
Oh, I love barley and have been craving Mushroom Barley soup but I had chicken unthawing for dinner last night…
So I made the next best thing!
This is made on the same concept as risotto made with rice but not as sticky as the Arborio rice.
It’s nutty and rich with mushroom flavor which would make a great side dish to chicken, pork or fish.
It’s easy too!
I’m having leftovers for lunch with sauteed spinach.
Mushroom Barley Risotto
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 scallion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup dry barley
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tbs. sour cream
- 2 tbs. chopped parsley
- Pre-cook barley in boiling water for 20 minutes until soft but still chewy in the middle. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs. butter in a saute pan.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and scallions - saute until soft.
- Add barley and half the chicken stock and cook until barley absorbs the broth stirring frequently.
- Continue to add more broth until the consistency is of your liking.
- At the end, stir in sour cream and chopped parsley.