Skillet Cornbread

Fall has opened up here in Ohio with colder temps.

The geese are flying in formation above our lake.

While others are complaining about what’s around the corner…

I welcome Fall as it is my favorite season of the year.

It’s a time for nesting and cuddling…

and gathering around the hearth.

You can see Polly has already started!

It’s also a time for baking.

Last night we had all the fixings for a perfect Fall Friday night as our grandson spent the evening with us.

With a fire burning in the fireplace, we enjoyed a big pot of chili and skillet cornbread.

I love my skillet…remember my Pineapple Upside Down Cake?

Start by heating your skillet in 425 degree oven until hot.

While the pan is heating, mix 1 1/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup yellow corn meal, 1/8 cup sugar (optional), 2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt (optional).

Whisk together 1 3/4 cup of buttermilk and a beaten egg, set aside.

Remove the skillet from the oven (be careful – it’s hot!) and add 1/2 stick of unsalted butter.

Watch it sizzle! If it browns, even better!

Swirl the butter around to coat the pan and pour the rest of the butter into the milk mixture.

Stir cornmeal into buttermilk mixture just until moistened. (The batter doesn’t have to be smooth—a few small lumps are good.)

Note: I like to add fresh corn kernels (you can use frozen ones too) or chopped jalapeno peppers.

Scrape batter into hot skillet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Invert skillet over a platter and cool bread at least 3 minutes.

Slice and enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Baking, corn, cornbread, food, foodpress, skillet, skillet baking, skillet cornbread Baking, Breakfast

17 comments on “Skillet Cornbread

1. Nava Krishnan on said:

What a way to start the day with this lovely bread you have shared.

2. Amanda on said:

I think I almost licked my iPhone reading this!!!! Soooo what if you don’t have a skillet??? Can I use a regular oven safe pan?? Or go get a skillet?? Where at?

• lindalyell on said:

You’re too funny! You can bake it in a regular 8X8 baking dish (sprayed with cooking spray) at 400 degrees. Or – buy a skillet…you’ll love it! I bought mine at a camping store for only $25. You can use the skillet for so many uses – frying bacon, eggs, pork chops!

3. Ooh, yum!!! I LOVE cornbread and this skillet version looks amazing! Congrats on the Top 9~

4. Wow, this look so effortless for you but ends up looking very fancy! Great pics!

5. Helen in Houston on said:

If you don’t own an iron skillet, research this item on the internet to learn how to “season” and care for it properly so it won’t rust. Once you have mastered the basics, you’ll never be without an iron skillet again. You can do EVERYTHING with it — including grilling, broiling, baking, frying, and steaming. If you can get your hands on an extra skillet (check the thrift stores), try using it as an outdoor grill. Just add some charcoal and cover it with a baking rack or grate from an old grill — perfect for a few burgers or small cookouts — and no storage problems.

• lindalyell on said:

Thanks Helen – great tips on the cast iron skillet! After 6 months, I finally got mine seasoned to the point where I like it! Love the charcoal idea!

6. Patty H. on said:

This sounds so awesome, and nothing goes better with chili than cornbread! I love Fall for the same reasons – – time to cozy up and also start cooking and baking up a storm!

7. I want the whole thing with a side of honey butter. Yum, yum.
    xo

8. Christine on said:

Congrats on Foodbuzz top 9!

9. Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth on said:

This looks so comforting on a cool fall day!

10. Pingback: Skillet Cornbread « FOOD’TUDE

11. Turned out beautifully – even though I used powdered buttermilk and substituted gluten-free flour for a gluten-free version