Lazy Day Pot Roast

On Sundays, I usually make ‘mega-meals’ which means a meal that is bigger than for the two of us. It’s a meal to split three ways – for us, for his parents and for my parents. Both our parents are aging and while they get “Meals On Wheels” – it gives me great pleasure to give them a homemade meal each week.

I’m am sharing with you the most incredible, flexible pot roast recipe EVER! Seriously, this recipe gives you the guidelines and basics…all you do is fill in the blanks with different, spices, fluids and herbs. I have had so much fun playing with this recipe. When I’m in the creative, exotic mood – I play with Chinese Five Spice and cinnamon in the flour mixture to get exotic depth of flavors.

This time I took the lazy way out for I didn’t want to spend much time in the kitchen…would rather spend it with my hubby. Today’s pot roast interpretation is the “Lazy Day” version.

I found the recipe on Epicurious.com and it is dated from 1963. Time tested for sure. Over the years, I have had fun playing with all the options.

I start with a basic flour dredge of 1/4 cup flour, 2 tbsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning and a good hefty shake of Lawry’s seasoned salt.

I had a 3 1/2 lb. chuck roast from a special at a local grocer. It was a bit fatty so I carved off all visible signs of the nasty stuff.

Before diving in and braising the beef, I prepared all the veggies that were going to go in to the pot. This time I used onions, garlic (lots of it!) and carrots. The recipe is so flexible that you can add your favorite veggies – I’ve used turnips, fennel and mushrooms in the past.

Speaking of carrots, I don’t skimp on fresh veggies – lazy day or not. I always buy a bunch of carrots with tops attached…fresh and full of flavor…and oh so pretty!

Next step is to line up your herbs and spices. Again, this recipe gives you lots of room for creativity! Today, I’m going the rosemary (2 sprigs), Worcestershire sauce (1 TBS)  and bay leaf (2) route. There are so many variations of spices to play with…I like to go into the reviews of the recipe and see what other cooks have come up with.

A moment of digression here, I have the pleasure of having a delightful little spice shop near my house and I have sworn never to buy grocery store spices again!

Fresher!

Cheaper!

I love my visits to Heather’s and my chats with the owner over recipes…(another blog post for sure!)

Back to the recipe.

Veggies cut. Spices, herbs and seasonings lined up.

Time to braise the meat.

High temperatures. Frying pan. Canola oil.

Brown the meat on both sides until you get a nice crust on the meat.

Remove the meat from the frying pan, drain the excess oil and immediately throw in the veggies.

I add some fresh ground pepper, turn the heat down a bit and stir the veggies so they collect what’s left of the drippings from the beef in the pan. After a few minutes, I toss in a cup of red wine!

Stir the veggies and wine to collect all the flavors and toss it all over the braised meat in a dutch oven or roaster.

This is a LOW and SLOW recipe – better cooked at a low temperature of 300 degrees for 3 1/2 to 5 hours. Check the meat and when it falls apart with a fork, it’s done.

While it’s cooking, enjoy the smells that will permeate your kitchen…and enjoy your lazy day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

beef, braising meat, cooking, food, foodpress, meat recipes, pot roast, recipes, roasts, veggies In the Pot, Low and Slow

97 comments on “Lazy Day Pot Roast

1. Potatoes…..gotta have potatoes in it…..but I’m an Irish girl and we don’t do anything without potatoes!

2. lindalyell on said:

Amen! I always serve mine with mashed potatoes on the side!

3. pursuenaturalny2008 on said:

I completely agree about the variation of spices. If I could cook I would probably list them year, but alas!
    Great photos.

4. Astami T on said:

lazy = me
    pot roast = yummers
    lazy day pot roast = definitely a recipe i can’t wait to try out! thanks for sharing and congrats on being freshly pressed!

5. rtcrita on said:

Pot roast is the greatest! So good for Sunday family meals. My son use to call it “roast beast,” like in How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The only red meat he would eat when he was little was my pot roast. Very nice photos!

• lindalyell on said:

I love that – “roast beast” – all 3 of my girls were vegetarians when they were growing up. I feel your pain!

6. Lakia Gordon on said:

I’m having one of those lazy days!!

7. Khanum on said:

awesome pictures. Congratulations. U got freshly pressed.

8. B.C. Young on said:

I love a good pot roast. My wife makes a great one!

9. The Simple Life of a Country Man's Wife on said:

That looks delicious. Husband would love it. Last night I made mashed turnips and carrots, with cream and salt/pepper. Still using up those garden carrots! It was good.

Thank you for sharing!

10. Mikalee Byerman on said:

Man, I wish there were a fresher, cheaper spice shop near my home. I’ll bet those spices make ALL the difference!

Beautiful recipe, photos and post. Thank you for sharing. :)

11. My Grandparents' Kitchen on said:

A lazy day pot roast sound perfect for me. Today I thought about exercising, so I lied down until the feeling passed. :)

Awesome pictures as well.

• Mavis Mathews on said:

You LAY down … the past tense of LIE is … LAY. You LAID down yesterday. You have LAIN down many times. Not that it makes any difference, but just so you know.

12. lifecoachabby on said:

Yum that looks delicious and is making me hungry.

13. AnastasiaVS on said:

Beautiful photos. Makes me want to start cooking now!

14. enjoibeing on said:

my stomach is growling as i type. looks so amazing. i can literally smell the aroma from my screen. great post. oh by the way im gonna use this recipe =]

15. myra22 on said:

Recipe sounds delicious! Now I’m going to have to make one. Headed to the grocery store after work!

16. ElenaSC on said:

Yummy!

17. 4myskin on said:

That looks amazing! I can almost smell it from here. lol! :) Congrats on a well deserved Freshly Pressed.

18. Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide on said:

That looks better than any pot roast I’ve ever had.

19. huotm on said:

I think I am going to like it as it is.

20. Mindy@FindingSilverLinings on said:

I’m loving any lazy day meal! Here’s the link to a bunch of mine:
    Congrats on being Freshly Pressed!
    xo
    Mindy

21. Mikey on said:

I love pot roast. I’m going to try doing this. Fantastic recipe! Thanks!

22. cookthestory on said:

Nothing says it’s a cozy lazy Sunday like a pot roast. It’s especially great if it’s raining outside. Was it? I make pot roast regularly and will try this one soon. Btw, gorgeous pictures!

• lindalyell on said:

I’m from Ohio…of course, it was raining or snowing :) In either case, we watched a movie in the afternoon! Thanks!

23. thewonderingchef on said:

The pictures are really nice! Im sure it tasted great as well:)

24. Passing Once on said:

A big YUM!!!!! the images are amazing. They look good to eat. I will try this one Sunday. We have a Sunday meal with the whole family (in the Philippines we are used to big families :-) ) too. This would be a great meal. Thanks…

25. valjena on said:

Ну так аппетитно выглядит!Непременно сама приготовлю.Я очень люблю сама готовить и это нравится моему любимому мужчине,с которым я живу уже 26 год.Ему будет вкусно от этого ленивого рецепта!Спасибо за рецепт!!!

• lindalyell on said:

Thank you! Here’s the English translation:
      Well, looks so appetizing! Certainly she prigotovlyu.Ya love to cook myself and like my beloved man, with whom I lived for 26 were secured to a delicious recipe from this lazy, Thanks for the recipe!

26. Ava Aston's Muckery on said:

It does look yummo – but it still kind of looks like work, Where is the easy part?

Blessings,

Ava
    xox

• lindalyell on said:

It’s a matter of being organized, putting it in the oven and enjoying the rest of the day! Thanks for reading!

27. notesfromrumbleycottage on said:

I have never thought to use the Montreal spice on my pot roast before. This I am going to try. Congrats on being freshly pressed.

28. I Made You A Mixtape on said:

Your pics are mouthwatering… love the easy recipe! Thanks for sharing. Absolutely love your blog!

29. James R. Clawson on said:

There is nothing like a pot roast with all the trimming! Thanks for sharing!

30. wovenstrands on said:

love your photography.

31. Pingback: Lazy Day Pot Roast (via A Muse in my Kitchen) | concretecrissy

32. evajoy on said:

Yummy looking, this is a great blog! I am glad I stuumbled on it!

33. Harold on said:

Agree looks like work, but worth it! :) Also agree needs potatoes. Pot Roast= yummy! Gotta have my meat! Must try this one. Thanks! Congrats on being FP!

34. toageornottoage on said:

Good and good for you. Don’t you just love meals that can be cooked in one pot!

35. lilywillia9814 on said:

Looks so yummy, the only way to get lazier would be to use the microwave!

36. You are amazing!

I believe I want to become lazy for a day, just to make this ;-) Thank you so much for caring about both sets of your parents. Having a home cooked meal send them love and they know it.

Beautiful pictures, well done on the layout.

P.S. I use potatoes too-Roast is always served with celery, potatoes, carrots, garlic and onions around these parts.

37. bluemixer on said:

I have always hated pot roast… but I’m starting to get the feeling, it’s because I’ve never had a good one.

38. noura on said:

wow

39. johnhauge on said:

sounds good. however, my mom and an aunt used to do a ‘golf roast’ which i still do several times each winter. it’s even easier to deal with than yours. chuck roast as well but i never ever cut off that good fat.
    drink some red wine to cut it.

40. CrystalSpins on said:

Celery. It needs celery.

41. Austin Girl on said:

I absolutely love your food photography! Great post!

42. anjobanjo22 on said:

Great photography!

43. Pingback: Lazy Day Pot Roast (via A Muse in my Kitchen) « throughthescreendoor

44. Through The Screen Door on said:

This recipe looks awesome! All my friends are foodies so I re-posted this on my blog! Congratulations on being Fresh Pressed! :oD

45. whatsaysyou on said:

Thank you for such a great post. I am a fan of pot roast and those pictures look yummy.

46. wow, yummie!

47. Ed Williams on said:

Definitely got to give this a try! Thanks.

48. D.A.S. on said:

I don’t even like roast, but I can see myself eating some of that!

49. Melanie on said:

Hey Mom!

Congrats on such a successful blog post. Now please send me some of this pot roast, oh and I would also like some of the donuts you made last week. Overnight shipping would be appreciated.

Love,
    Your Hungry Daughter

50. This looks amazing! And your photos are so beautiful. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed. I’ll be back soon!

51. The meat looks tender and juicy with the combination of vegetables

52. Pingback: 20 @ 7pm from HOLLYWOOD « Horiwood's Blog

53. patsyporco on said:

Lazy day means ordered-in pizza to me. I will definitely try this recipe on a non-lazy day since I never knew what to do with the Chinese-Five-Spice that I bought on a whim.

54. Chris on said:

I made my version of this lazy day roast on 3/12/11 using 3 oxtails and a small chuck steak. I used 4 t Better Than Bouillon (vegie) rather than wine (to 4 C water) and did the slow braise in the oven like Linda. I added 5 garlic cloves, 1 onion and 1 fennel bulb (S & P) for the oven process. When the meat fell apart, I removed the vegies (discard or nibble on some) and separated from the broth. I refrigerated the broth to condense the fat. I removed the meat from the bones and removed any fat from the chuck. After the broth cooled, I removed the fat. 15 minutes before serving I added my potatoes and carrots, S & P, ( I don’t care for mushy vegies.) The flavor of this stew is to die for! This stew is for those on a budget that want gourmet taste (I modified the Joy of Cooking recipe, which discussed the historical connection to noblepeople eating the tails of cattle being tanned during the French reign of terror.)

55. brianhickey1 on said:

Congratulations on being freshly pressed. Your blog is well set up, your food is delicious, and your photography is great. I am going to try to add this blog to my posts
    congratulations once again

56. cheapbagoutle on said:

It’s Healthy to Have a Dog
    People who walk their own dogs get more exercise.

57. fey's diary on said:

Great photos! It seems that it was taken on the yummy magazine.

58. leadinglight on said:

Sounds yummy and warming. Just the ticket for winter.

59. Hello Linda. Your presentation is so appetizing, I feel like wanting to cook and eat! Great piece. I will try them with my own kitchenware collection. Thanks and goodluck! Vanessa

60. dedy oktavianus pardede on said:

i always love the braised meat, it could melted in ur mouth….
    nice pict too

61. Jennifer Avventura on said:

YUM! This would be a huge hit in my house. Im going to have to give it a try. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed. Great post!

62. l0ve0utl0ud on said:

The photos are fantastic, and everything looks delicious. Thank you for sharing!

63. manustawee on said:

yum yum ^_^

64. jackphillips1992 on said:

i just failed my driving tes, i’m super pissed off, but this has made me feel better. it looks amazing!

65. marrow-minded fool on said:

your pictures are gorgeous! keep up the beautiful work!

66. Julie Leithner on said:

oh such a beautiful roast. I fall in love with food the more I read blogs like this. Love the photography. Why kind of camera are you using?

67. sell tickets online on said:

Nice preparation. Beautiful pics Lindalyell.

68. Recipe Chefs on said:

The pictures look excellent. Thanks for sharing this post. Feel free to check out our recipes as well.

69. Pingback: How do you like dem tomatoes? « LindaLyell's Blog

70. rsmacaalay on said:

that pot roast made me hungry! That really looks good and tasty

71. manfoodblog on said:

This looks and sounds delicious. Your pictures are amazing, too.

72. I used this recipe to make short ribs and it was fabulous! My mother never put the veggies in till the end and I always thought this was how you were supposed to cook a pot roast, but it made all the difference to put the veggies in at the beginning! We loved it and this recipe will be used in my kitchen forever!

73. Looks delicious! Just made pot roast for the first time this past weekend. Next time I’ll have to try some of your suggestions.

74. The Cooking Channel on said:

Amazing, love it!

75. Pingback: Lazy Day Pot Roast Recipe « The Cooking Channel

76. Calogero Mira on said:

Thanks. http://calogeromirafoodand.wordpress.com

77. Eftychia on said:

Delicious and easy to make. Thanks for sharing!!

78. Pingback: Easy Dinner: Lazy Day Pot Roast, Perfect Baked French Fries, Strawberry Mozzarella Basil Salad | Eat The Web

79. การ์ดแต่งงาน on said:

I was new in the world of bloggers so please guidance yes, And thank you for sharing these on your blog, And your blog is very useful to me.

80. อุปกรณ์สำนักงาน, เครื่องใช้สำนักงาน on said: