Chicken Pot Pie
A Kitchen Muse: adapted from Sunny Anderson
- The meat from a store roasted chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 stalk(s) celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1 potato, cut into cubes and par-boil to soften
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup half and half
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from bones and chop.
- Sprinkle the chicken with paprika, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the seasoned chicken and saute until cooked through until warm.
- Remove the chicken to a plate with tongs, leaving the oil in the pan.
- To the same pan, add the onions, celery, peas and carrots and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook until the onions become tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until the flour dissolves into the vegetables and juices.
- Add the chicken stock and wine and simmer, stirring until thickened.
- Once the liquid has thickened, stir in the half and half.
- Season with salt, if needed.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Unfold the pie crust and place over the top of the filling, crimping edges.
- Brush the crust evenly with the egg wash.
- Cut 3 vents in the top of the crust.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Recipe by A Muse in My Kitchen at http://amuseinmykitchen.com/2012/04/14/chicken-pot-pie/